Miami-Dade College awarded this project which included the remodeling, renovation, and selective restoration and preservation of the National Historic David W. Dyer U.S. Courthouse. Built in 1933, the building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. The building was closed in 2008 and has remained unoccupied. The Dyer Building is composed of a three-story structure with a partial basement and a partial mezzanine. The renovation and remodel included approximately 162,250 square feet into classrooms, event venues, library spaces, open student collaboration spaces, offices, and other related college spaces, including the structural modifications required to achieve the new program spaces.
More about The Dyer Federal Building and Courthouse
KEITH provided civil engineering services, including water and wastewater design and permitting. Given the historic nature and history of the building, laser scanning services were also provided. Through the laser scanning process, highly accurate and long-range lasers were used to capture visible reality. Existing conditions were documented and the data can be used to create accurate as-builts, as well as being incorporated into a Building Information Model (BIM). The building is LEED certified v4 BD+C.